Friday, April 15, 2011

A Whole New Exercise

Thanks to my mom's love and support of my goals for weight loss and staying healthy I have acquired a new set of exercise DVD's from my two favorite weight loss gurus. Jillian Micheals and Bob Harper from Biggest Loser are possibly the most inspiring T.V. personalities I have ever come across. Every Tuesday night from 7-9 I am parked in front of a television watching my favorite show.

In fact, Biggest Loser was one of the reasons I decided to start exercising and eating healthy. I thought if these people can do this then so can I. I even had this fantasy that I would one day become a contestant on the Biggest Loser. Then Bob and Jillian could scream the fat right off of me. I think it would run away squealing. But then I came to the realization that getting to be a contestant on a show like that was equivalent to winning the lottery and I am not a lucky person.  So, it was either get off my butt and get down to business or continue to sit in my easy chair and eat while watching my show. The later choice was obviously to ironic for me to abide by. So I decided to make myself the star of my own Biggest Loser show, cast of one.

I know I said swimming was the way to go and I still think it is. However, my brother and my dad both reminded me that it is better to alternate my workouts so that my muscle groups have time to repair themselves. I have decided to do two days of swimming and then one day of other exercise and then repeat that. I figured what better way to mix it up and keep it interesting than trying to complete some workout DVD's. They are portable and don't take up too much time. So I have started one of them today: Biggest Loser Powerwalk
Bob is so inspiring...
It is actually not a bad video and it was only 9 bucks at WalMart. (By the way all exercise video are not in the video section but are instead located in the sporting goods section). The premise of this one is that if you follow the included checklist you can walk 27 miles in three weeks. That's a marathon folks. So I am excited to say that it really made me sweat. Walk One (there are four different ones) was alot of aerobic moves and then sprinting. Bob is actually really encouraging so I kept at it. I also liked how it doesn't push you to go beyond what you are physically capable of but instead provides modifications if they are needed. I would suggest that anyone could do this workout if they have the use of their legs.
With things like this readily available there is really no excuse for people not to get up and get moving. In fact at Walmart on the west side right now there are tons of DVD's for sale for four bucks. That's definitely cheaper than the price of a gym membership and I think you might be more likely to feel comfortable exercising in your home than out in public. I know it really depends on the person, but I hope some of you will be inspired to give this one a try. Or some of the other ones I got:


Gets your rear in gear for only 4 dollars

Tones and lifts the frontal view for only 4 bucks!

Designed to boost metabolism and increase caloric burn

I'm saving this one for last...I am sure the name helps explain why...
So, I am steadily building up my arsenal and keeping myself from being able to make excuses. If the pool is closed or the weather is bad or I'm broke I can still exercise. This is just another level of accountability for me and its one I think I might actually enjoy! I know I have changed my mind a few times about the exercise but it is important to me to make sure I stick with it. If that means backing off of swimming a bit and trying new things then that is OK with me. As long as I am moving I will not fail in the end. No two people are alike and it is really and truly about making things work for yourself because in the end it is you that you must be accountable for. I wish everyone luck in picking their own workout routines that will help them stay motivated and entertained...it isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I guess when it comes to exercise I can exercise my right to choose how I move.

If you have tried any of these or you have other work out videos to recommend please feel free to comment about them here. Remember you don't have to be a member and you can even be anonymous if you wish.

If you like what you are reading please subscribe, share, comment or follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment