Sunday, April 10, 2011

Take a break

Okay, so I didn't post on Friday or Saturday. It wasn't intentional, but it got me to thinking about how important it is to take a step back sometimes and breathe a little. Since I am not working I may not have as many stressors as some other people do, but I am going to school and changing your lifestyle is like a full-time job. Especially, if you intend to blog every day. Sometimes, it just doesn't happen. It doesn't turn out the way you want it to.

So while unintentionally taking a break from blogging, I also took a break from exercising. I didn't go swimming yesterday. I had planned to walk, but it was so nasty outside (55 mph winds and blowing dust) that I didn't do anything even remotely exercise related. At first, I was mortified with myself. However, I did stay under my calorie goal, barely. I didn't over eat, so it wasn't a total loss. As a result, I feel better today. I am well-rested and my muscles don't hurt and I am ready to hit the pool. It doesn't open until ten. Then I might take my dog for a walk, to make up for yesterday, if I feel I am able.

Exercise and dieting take alot out of you in some ways. You have to give your body a day to recover. Now that doesn't mean no exercise, just less strenuous exercise. So I have learned my lesson. Hitting the pool for 2 hours a day every day will wear me out. So from now on I will be doing three days on and one day of less strenuous exercise. It is all about finding a routine that works for you. Its also about continuing to love what you are doing for yourself and your body. I am however, going to keep up with my mileage count for swimming. It is going to take me awhile to complete but most worthwhile things do.

I have read so many posts about people becoming addicted to weighing in (like three times a day) and obsessive about what they eat or how much exercise they do. All of these things should be a part of your weight loss journey but none of them should be the master of your life. Life should also be about having a great time and doing the things that make you joyful. So take a break from the scale and the gym for one day and go for a walk in your neighborhood instead. Its okay, if you really must have that piece of cake or that burger. Just have the courage to be honest with yourself and remember that this is a marathon not a sprint. Most importantly, remember that every day cannot be a break, you have to be consistent in your goals. In other words, "Stop and smell the roses but not forever."

So its back to the grind for me. =)

If you like what you are reading please, subscribe, leave a comment or follow me here on blogger.

Don't forget to check out my food and exercise diary at:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/sarahbear1981

No comments:

Post a Comment