Monday, April 11, 2011

Positivity Goes A Long Way On the Battlefield

I think one of the things that causes people to fail is a certain habit people have of thinking of themselves and others negatively. Like if I didn't lose weight this week then I am a failure. To me it really isn't about the weight, because in all honesty weight fluctuates on a daily basis. If you drink two glasses of water you gain. If you eat lunch you gain. If its that time of the month you gain. If you look at someone wrong you gain (j/k). However, I think there are times when the scale does not show our greatest successes. Many people, the positive ones, or at least the ones trying to stay positive, focus on what they call Non Scale Victories or NSV's.

An NSV can be something as simple as: "When my friend offered me that cheesecake, I said no thank you!" or it can be something a big as: "I didn't lose any weight this week but I lost 2 inches around my waist." NSV's are clearly a continuum but they are something I intend to focus on in order to replace my negativity with some positivity. If I am berating myself and calling myself a failure then I am letting the old, fat, sedentary me win.

Weight loss is a war; every day is a battle and it all comes down to what you have in your arsenal to win it. Healthy food and exercise are great "big guns" but what about your grenades and land mines? What can you do to prepare yourself to fight the biggest mental battle there is; the one against yourself? I say positivity goes a long way! Affirming every success no matter how small can help you outlast the old you that wants to turn to food and sitting on the couch for comfort. Focus on those NSV's and you will defeat the fat! I believe this is true and it is what I am focusing on to ensure I win this war.

So I would like to share some of my NSV's with you all:

1) I am eating healthy food and not too much of it on a daily basis! My body is thanking me by providing me with more energy and less pain.

2) My clothes are getting loser. Things that were tight that I literally had to pull on in order to stretch the fabric so it would fit are sliding on with ease.

3) I am swimming again. This is something my 315lb self told me I could never do. Boy was she wrong!

4) I find myself understanding why I do what I do more and more. I am getting to know the real me. The strong one that was obscured by all the negativity.

5) For the first time, in a REALLY long time, I am happy with the course of my life. This tells me I am doing the right thing.

What are some of your NSV's? I want to know all about my readers successes, so please share. Remember it is not always about what the scale says!

If you like what you are reading please subscribe, comment or follow me here on blogger.

Don't forget to check out my food diary at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/sarahbear1981

1 comment: