Saturday, April 2, 2011

Slaying the Nicotine Giant

So I received this comment yesterday :

"Wow, Sarah! Great work! Now how is quitting smoking going? I'm curious about how difficult it is to "quit" everything at once!"

Talk about a blog keeping me accountable! So I haven't really talked about my efforts to slay the nicotine giant. I am glad this comment was made though because I think it is high time I did discuss it. My quit date is August 14th, 2011. Currently, I smoke a pack a day (that's 20 cigarettes) which averages roughly to two an hour. So every thirty minutes that I am awake I am smoking a cigarette. WOW! I used to be a 2 pack a day smoker, but recent efforts have brought me down to one pack. This, for me, is a great improvement. I have noticed that starting this weight loss journey has really helped me to cut down as well. In the past I would have to leave the room where all my friends were so I could have a smoke. I missed out on so much over the years because of my addiction. Lately, I have been focusing on waiting. So every time I want a cigarette, I wait for half an hour. Sometimes, I forget I wanted one to begin with. I am also keeping track of how many I smoke in a day and lowering that dramatically. I am not foolish enough to believe that I can do this with no help, so on June 1st, 2011 I am going on the patch and quitting smoking entirely. Being on the patch is a ten week process, so by my birthday I should not be on patches at all and I should be smoke free.

This is when the real struggle will begin, because I will not have the nicotine in my system at all. It will be up to me and my willpower to quell any cravings that might rear their ugly heads. This will be the time when I will need the most support from my friends and family. This is the time I will be most vulnerable in regards to my diet as well.

If you have read my other posts you will know that I am an emotional eater. So I fear that a craving for nicotine might be something I try to placate with food. Likely, the sugary or salty variety. Ostensibly, it activates the same pleasure inducing hormones as nicotine, so it would make sense that I would go for something like that.  It is my sincerest hope that by that time, I will have created enough willpower in myself to abstain from overeating and smoking. It sure won't be easy though. Currently, I am on a 1500 calorie diet and I think I might be able to work in some healthy snacks to help me combat the cravings I will have. I will enter them in to my food log at the beginning of the day and then I will do my best to eat them only if I am craving a cigarette. I think it will work. I hope it will anyways.


But, in answer to the question, quitting smoking is going okay right now but I am certain that it will be a difficult process. It will likely be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life. I will do my best.

On another note: I am already beginning to notice I have more strength to say no to overeating. Last night my friend was eating broccoli cheese soup (one of my favorites) and didn't finish it. He then held the piping hot soup under my nose and asked me if I wanted the rest. Boy, did it smell good! I almost caved. I knew that I had already eaten all of my food for the day and I worked out so hard. I didn't want to ruin all of my hard work so I said no. If I can do that with food then I can do it with anything!! That's what this whole journey is about. One small victory after another. Right now I'm winning.

If you like what you are reading please subscribe over to the right ----->
Or you can follow me, or leave a comment. I am especially interested in quitting smoking strategies for this blog.

Don't forget to check out my food diary: 
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/sarahbear1981

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah, I have to tame that nicotine beast too! I've often said I like it more than eating... You are doing great at this battle and you are so right - one battle/victory at a time. Don't forget the small victories like the talk in your head that chooses the apple over the junk etc. Everything counts. Take care!

    ReplyDelete