Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How Does It Taste? Part 2 (Healthy Food Review)

I wanted to talk about three very important elements to a healthy diet and recommend my favorite go to foods for each
1) Protien
This is essential. Protein burns first when your body needs energy and it also speeds up the burning of fat. If there is one thing I could say it would be to make sure you are getting enough protein. Protein doesn't just come in meat either. It is in nuts, eggs,diary and even veggies.  My favorite protein by far is.....TUNA!
Here's why I like it:
It is versatile. I can eat it plain, I can make it into a salad, or use it to top a salad or put in any number of other dishes. I also like it because it is low cal (about 120 for a whole can). It has Omega 3 fatty acids that are essential for brain functioning . It is also chock full of protein. Heck I even like it raw when its sushi. Tuna is the bestest!
Here are the nutrition facts for one can of tuna:
Calories 60 Sodium 190 mg
Total Fat 1 g Potassium 130 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 13 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.


2) Complex Carbohydrate
Along with your protien (which you should eat at every meal) you should also eat a complex carbohydrate. Not a simple carb which comes from things like sugar, processed flour ect. but a complex one that has fiber and takes your body time to digest. And the winner is:   Ezekiel Bread




Here's why I love it. The recipe for this bread is as old as can be. It actually comes from the bible. Ezekiel 4:9 says: "But as for you, take wheat, barley, beans, lentils, millet and spelt, put them in one vessel and make them into bread for yourself..." So this bread is designed by God. Pretty cool huh. Also it is made from sprouted grains. These types of grains have more nutrients than regular processed grains which are harvested before they sprout. It is not the best right out of the bag. I recommend toasting it first. I also like to take a TBSP of olive oil and a tiny bit of vinegar and spread it on the bread. It goes great with tuna salad!
Here is the nutrition info:

Calories 80 Sodium 75 mg
Total Fat 1 g Potassium 80 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 15 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 4%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

3) Healthy Fats
I know, eww fat... right? But there is a difference between good fats and bad fats. Bad fats are saturated. Good fats are unsaturated. You can find these good fats in fish, nuts of all kinds vegetable and seed based cooking oil and some dairy products. So by far my absolute favorite healthy fat comes from Natural nut butters. In particular: Peanut Butter and Company White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter. 


Why I love it:
It tastes freakin' awesome!!!! Aside from that it doubles as a protein. It is all natural and a PB sandwich fills me right up! It is important to remember one serving a day should suffice.
Here is the nutritional breakdown on the peanuttiest most delicious stuff in the world.

Calories 180 Sodium 35 mg
Total Fat 14 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 3 g Total Carbs 11 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 7 g
Trans 0 g Protein 6 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 2%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 2%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

I know there is saturated fat but only three grams out of 14. Not bad for something that is a fat. 
These are my go to foods when I want to make sure that what I am eating really does taste great but will also make me thin and more importantly healthy! What are some of your go to foods for health? Please comment and let me know. I would love to hear about this from my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment