Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The McDonald's Conspiracy

So yesterday, I caved. That's right, I failed in my calorie goals. Why? McDonald's, that's why. I am so disappointed in myself. Where the heck is my willpower? I went down the drain after a 2 hour long test for my assessment course at UTEP. It was late, I was hungry, and the golden arches were looming ahead of me. Talk about poor impulse control. Even worse I could have gotten a salad or a fruit smoothie, but no I had to have a big mac and large fries, and...two wraps. OMG! There is nothing I can do about yesterday, but there is something I can do about today and tomorrow and next week....NO FAST FOOD!!!. I swear that fast food restaurants have a conspiracy to create food addicts in order to turn a greater profit. They even make their straws bigger in circumference in comparison to straws you buy in the store. Why? So we can suck shakes and sugary sodas down our throats at an even faster rate and then we want a refill.

Did you guys know fat is addictive? It is...According to an article by Stephen Daniells (2010)

Over eating may be driven by the same neurobiological mechanism in the brain as drug addiction, says a new study from the US that adds clout to the theory of ‘food addiction’.

Data from a study with laboratory rats indicated that the development of obesity was accompanied by a break-down in brain chemistry linked to pleasure responses. According to findings published in Nature Neuroscience, the very same changes occur when rats over-consume heroin or cocaine.

"These findings confirm what we and many others have suspected that over-consumption of highly pleasurable food triggers addiction-like neuroadaptive responses in brain reward circuitry, driving the development of compulsive eating," said lead researcher Dr Paul Kenny, from The Scripps Research Institute in Florida.

"Common mechanisms may therefore underlie obesity and drug addiction,” he added.

The data appears to refocus attention on the formulation of foods, and the Western diet in particular – the researchers fed the rats easy-to-obtain high-calorie, high-fat foods like sausage, bacon, and cheesecake.


You see, there you have it....burgers are my heroine and McDonald's is my dealer. God help us all. I'm not giving up, but apparently this is a much harder battle that I thought. So let me start by saying, "Hello, my name is Sarah Woods and I am a foodaholic."


Here is the link to the rest of the article: Its a really interesting yet frightening read:

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Food-addiction-Fat-may-rewire-brain-like-hard-drugs

Don't forget to check out my food diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/sarahbear1981

And if you like what you are reading please subscribe over to the right----->

1 comment:

  1. I could send you some PETA videos that would make you cringe at the thought of McDonalds! I seriously think your body goes through withdraws around day 3 of changing up your diet... At least I know mine does! I get headaches, feel grumpy, snappy, and hurt as if a semi beat me up! Kinda scary to think about all the chemical we eat.

    -Valerie

    ReplyDelete